Resveratrol is being touted as the new fountain of youth!
We all want a happy and healthy life. If most of us had our way with life, we would want to live long enough to be able to see our grandkids grown and married. However, in this day and age where stress, pollution, cancer and other diseases are taking a toll on human life, it is becoming more and more difficult to do so. People are constantly plagued with diseases and problems that cut their lives short.
Nevertheless, the French seem to be doing all right as compared to the rest of the world. Their cholesterol levels are under control, they have lower incidences of diseases and stress in spite of the huge amount of cheese and other calorie-laden foods that they keep eating. How is that possible, you may ask? Most people call this phenomenon the French Paradox. What is responsible for this phenomenon?
The answer may be resveratrol. The consumption of red wine is quite high in France. Red Wine is made from red grapes, which are high in a compound known as resveratrol. Now days, resveratrol is being hailed as the new elixir of life.
Following are some of the benefits of resveratrol:
- Weight loss: Resveratrol helps to enhance your metabolism, which helps to remove fats from your body.
- Energy levels boost up: Since it is a metabolism enhancing compound, it naturally increases the energy levels of a person and helps him to have more stamina.
- Slows aging: It prevents the formation of free radicals in the body and helps to slow the aging process.
- Reduce heart related issues: The flavanoids present in the grapes help in preventing arthrosclerosis and plaque formation in the arteries. This helps in reducing the chances of strokes and other heart ailments.
- Diabetes and blood pressure: A recent study of resveratrol revealed that the antioxidants present in this compound can help in preventing unnatural spikes in the blood sugar as well as the blood pressure levels.
- Antidepressants: Red wine is not a depressant like the other alcoholic drinks. The presence of resveratrol makes red wine a rejuvenating drink when used in moderation.
- Anti cancer: It is known to fight cancer since it reduces the effects of free radicals in the body that can be responsible for converting the normal cells into cancerous cells.
- Anti-inflammatory: Diseases like Alzheimer’s and arthritis are caused due to inflammation in the neurons and bones respectively. Resveratrol helps by reducing inflammation and the likelihood of resulting diseases.
- Immune enhancing properties: This compound helps in preventing illnesses and strengthening the immune system.